Roof Snow and Ice Dam Removal
Ottawa roofs get a lot of heavyweight from snowfalls, the excessive buildup of snow can cause your roof deck to warp and in extreme cases, even collapse. The most common form of damage occurs when the snow melts and then refreezes at the edge of your roof. This is referred to as ice damming, which can lead to trapped water underneath the shingles and water leakage through the roof deck and nail holes. Some of the signs that there is too much weight on your roof are:
- Leaks in the home, water marks in the ceiling
- Exterior Doors and windows are suddenly harder to open or if they pop open on their own
- Deformed structure and support/framing. Best way to check is to look into the attic and see if any wood is cracked or sagging
- Cracks in the exterior masonry
- Sagging in the interior ceiling or exterior roofline. If there is a sudden dip or sag where there isn’t supposed to be.
For lower sloped roofs the weight of snow could potentially be dangerous due to the amount of snow it holds. Two feet of snow on your roof can range from 6lbs per square foot for dry snow to 42lbs per square foot for wet heavier snow. This is equal is thousands of extra pound on your roof resulting in weakening and eventually structural damage on your roof. Roof snow that is exposed to sunlight soften and become denser then it hardens when the temperature drops below zero overnight.
WARNING: The removal of snow and ice from your rooftop without the help of an experienced professional with specialized equipment can be extremely dangerous.
Vanity roofing is a licensed and insured roofing company that efficiently and safely removes ice and snow buildup on the rooftops of houses. We pay attention to your roof underneath the snow, making sure we do not damage it in any way.