Replacing a roof is expensive and it is not always easy to decide if you really need one. Sometimes it is clear cut when you see water leaking into the interior of the building. Other times, it is far less obvious. Some of the things you should look for include:
- Shingle edges – If the edges are curling or if you see cupping.
- Bald spots – This is when the granules are completely worn off usually from wind, heavy rains and snow, or tree limbs brushing against them.
- Age – If your roof is at least 20 years old, it could be time. There are factors that impact the longevity of your roof including improper ventilation.
- Moss – In areas where the air is cool and moist and the roof doesn’t get much sun, moss can begin to form. This is not just unsightly but the moss will make the roof surface retain moisture and over time this will cause granules to dissipate. Just having moss may not warrant a new roof and only a professional can make that determination.
- Neighbors – Especially in newer neighborhoods, all the homes were built at the same time and the roofs will wear out accordingly. If your neighbors are replacing roofs, you may need to do the same. Also, check your homeowner’s association bylaws. Some specify replacement intervals.
- Obvious leaks or water damage – This includes stains or dark streaks on the ceiling or walls.
- Ceiling sags – If you notice even a slight bulge in the ceiling and it feels soft or soggy when touched either with your hand or a long handle, it probably means water is infiltrating.
- Light penetrates – If you see small cracks or streaks of sunlight through the attic rafters or floorboards, you undoubtedly have roof damage and you should not delay.
- Wildlife damage – Even small holes made by critters trying to gain entry is cause for concern and should be dealt with as soon as possible.
Failing to replace a roof in a timely manner means that leaks and failures are likely to occur, damaging the interior of the home or commercial building. Properly maintained homes, including roofs, means better curb appeal which increases the overall value of your home and makes your neighbors happy. This pays off when you decide it is time to put the place on the market. Properly insulated and ventilated homes with good roofing materials will help reduce loss of heat or cooling and therefore reduce your energy costs.
Vanity Roofing is expert in the field. We are happy to schedule an appointment to inspect your roof and talk about the possibility of a replacement. We have worked on properties of all sizes in repairing and replacing roofs. We understand all the intricacies of good roof replacement and will help you when you need help with your roof. Please contact us today and we can provide you with a complimentary estimate.