Flat roofs are a popular choice for commercial buildings. They are cost-effective, give design flexibility and offer roof space for other purposes such as storage, utilities, or emergency exits. However, to get the best out of flat roofs, they require a considerable amount of care and maintenance.
Flat roofs typically are prone to water damage due to poor drainage. While slanted roofs rely on gravity to ensure water flows off the roof into gutters, flat roofs solely depend on a drainage system. This means any problem with the drainage system can quickly lead to pools or leaks, which damage the roofing material and even cause safety hazards. This can be quite an expense for building owners, but it is possible to reduce these costs with the proper drainage.
Vanity Roofing is your Ottawa commercial roofing company that offers the attention and care your flat roofs require to keep water damage at bay. We provide practical solutions and fast services for the long-term protection of your commercial property.
Let’s see what can happen if you neglect drainage on your commercial flat roof.
Poor Drainage Cause Water Ponds on Flat Roofs
When the drainage gutters or scuppers fail to carry away the rainwater, it accumulates on the rooftop in the form of puddles. Eventually, small puddles grow into deep pools of water that cause a lot of damage.
- Standing water has lots of weight that put extra pressure on the roof. If your roof is already weak, the water can easily puncture it, making it more vulnerable to leaks. Also, without any secondary drainage system in place, you may end up with a flooded building.
- Standing water becomes a breeding ground for mosquitoes and birds, which carry diseases and cause structural damage such as blocked chimneys. It also becomes a haven for mold, fungus, and algae that further damage the roof.
- Ponding water also erodes the roofing material on flat roofs. It reduces the lifespan of rubber membrane roofs, which crack due to prolonged exposure to water. You may even lose the warranty provided by the manufacturer.
- If your roof already has some wear and tear, the water can seep through the building structure and damage the load-bearing walls.
- Slippery surface, discoloration, and material erosion are just some other issues that can occur.
Without a working drainage system, the list will only keep growing, endangering both your life and property.
You can avoid such potential disasters by hiring a reliable commercial roofing contractor like Vanity Roofing to install and maintain the best drainage system for your flat roof. Vanity Roofing INC. has been providing exceptional roof installation, repair, and replacement services for more than two decades. We have extensive experience in commercial roofing projects in Ottawa, Nepean, Gloucester, Barrhaven, Riverside South, Kanata, Stittsville, Carp, Orleans, & Ottawa Valley.
Give us a call today at 613-851-4448, or contact us online to learn more about our roofing services. We will be happy to offer you a free quote!